Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Que. priest facing more sex-related charges

Que. priest facing more sex-related charges
Canwest News ServiceMay 3, 2010

Raymond-Marie Lavoie, 70, was a teacher at the Seminaire Sainte-Alphonse, in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre, just outside Quebec City, when the assaults are alleged to have taken place.
Photograph by: Cathal McNaughton, ReutersQUEBEC — A Quebec Roman Catholic priest was arrested again Monday and charged with three new counts of sexual assault on two boys who attended a private Catholic school in the 1970s.


Raymond-Marie Lavoie, 70, was a teacher at the Seminaire Sainte-Alphonse, in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre, just outside Quebec City, when the assaults are alleged to have taken place.


The charges laid Monday bring the total of alleged young male victims to 11, police said.


The first victim pressed charges against Lavoie in 2008. Quebec provincial police launched an investigation and eventually found other alleged victims: all boarders at the college in the 1970s and 1980s, who were between the ages of 12 and 15 at the time.


Lavoie was first arrested in December 2009 and faces a series of charges of sexual assault, indecent assault and gross indecency.


He is due back in court on June 21 and his defence lawyer hinted he could plead guilty.


"There is a certain number of alleged victims. We'll look into each case separately, but we certainly won't go to trial unnecessarily," said Serge Goulet.


Lavoie could also face a major lawsuit if a bid for a class-action launched by one if his alleged victims last month is approved.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

No comments: