Saturday, January 29, 2011

Further charges

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0129/1224288527714.html
Former priest may face further charges, court told
TOM TUITE

Sat, Jan 29, 2011

THE DPP is considering pressing further charges against a defrocked priest accused of possession of thousands of pornographic images of children, it was confirmed yesterday.

Oliver O’Grady (65), with an address at a hostel on Charlemont Street, Dublin, was granted bail at Dublin District Court last month following his arrest and was remanded to appear yesterday.

Judge Cormac Dunne said he noted on the defendant’s last appearance that the court was told further charges could be brought and asked “is that still contemplated”. Det Johanna Doyle of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation replied “yes”.

Defence solicitor Kieran Conway said there was consent to an adjournment. Judge Dunne remanded Mr O’Grady on continuing bail to appear on February 25th pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions. The former priest remained silent during his brief court appearance.

Earlier the court heard the defendant had lived at various addresses in Ireland since he was deported from the United States, in 2001. He rents a lock-up facility and a postbox to store his belongings. As part of his bail conditions he must sign on twice daily at Harcourt Terrace Garda station. He also undertook not to seek travel documentation and has surrendered his passport to gardaĆ­.

The material allegedly confiscated included images and videos on a USB key, an external hard drive and a laptop. Det Doyle told the court: “We are talking about thousands upon thousands of images of child pornography. Children from the age of two and three up to teenage boys and girls.”

© 2011 The Irish Times

No comments: