Wednesday, October 1, 2008

VICTIMS OF ABUSE TO SHARE £400K

Daily Record, Scotland
16 August 2006
VICTIMS OF ABUSE TO SHARE £400K
By Janice Burns
SHATTERED survivors of care home abuse are to be awarded around £400,000 compensation for their trauma.

The first 18 out of 100 victims will receive payouts of between £1000 and £7500 each over the next few days.

The move comes after the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority accepted they were abused.

The decision followed a hearing where police and victims gave evidence against staff at Nazareth House homes in Glasgow, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

The other victims are expected to receive similar compensation packages after further hearings to take place in October.

Their lawyer Cameron Fyfe, of Ross Harper solicitors in Glasgow, said the compensation victory had come as a massive relief for the victims.


He said: "This is a great boost for our clients.


"They are not particularly interested in the compensation, but feel vindicated that a government authority has accepted that they were abused and, as a result, deserve compensation."


The victims have appealed against a judge's refusal to allow them to continue their fight for compensation through the Scottish courts.


In a judgment published last year, Lord Drummond Young said ex-residents of the notorious homes had waited too long before coming forward.


The Appeals Courts of the Court of Session are to make a decision on the question of time bar in January 2007.


In December 2004, First Minister Jack McConnell issued a "sincere and full" apology to victims of abuse in children's homes.


He told Holyrood that the abuse was "deplorable, unacceptable and inexcusable".


The apology was made following a petition submitted to the Parliament in August 2002 by Christopher Daly, who claimed he was regularly beaten by nuns at Nazareth House in Aberdeen during the 70s.


He had urged the Executive to follow the Republic of Ireland's lead and offer a public apology and compensation to victims.


The then education minister Peter Peacock had ruled out a public inquiry and said he could not apologise because court cases were pending.


But MSPs took a stand against the Executive after more than 1000 people came forward with allegations of physical or mental abuse in the homes.

No comments: