Saturday, February 13, 2010

'Abuse allegation' against Down and Connor priest

'Abuse allegation' against Down and Connor priest

The priest has stepped aside voluntarily during the investigation
A Catholic diocese in Northern Ireland has confirmed that one of its priests has voluntarily stepped aside while police investigate an abuse allegation.

In a statement, Down and Connor Diocese said it was "aware of an allegation against a priest relating to the early 1970s".

It added that the priest denies the allegation.

It is understood the priest who has stepped aside is Father Sean Cahill who had been working in Castlewellan.

The diocese said it was "cooperating fully with the police from the public protection unit and social services in accordance with the inter-agency forum for the sharing of information".

"The diocese, as is its practise in such cases, has put into effect child safeguarding measures approved by the inter-agency forum and with the full cooperation of the priest.

"Because the matter is being investigated by the civil authorities it would be inappropriate for the diocese to comment further," the statement said.

No comments: