Sunday, June 27, 2010

Vatican No. 2 increases criticism of Belgian raids

Last updated June 26, 2010 6:40 a.m. PT

Vatican No. 2 increases criticism of Belgian raids
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS


File - In this Sunday, April 3, 2005 file photo Belgian Cardinal Godfried Danneels leans on his staff while leading a memorial Mass for Pope John Paul II at the St. Michael church in Brussels. The Brussels prosecutor's office says police have raided the home and office of Belgium's recently retired Archbishop Godfried Danneels as part of a sex-abuse investigation, it was reported on Thursday, June 24, 2010. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo, File)
VATICAN CITY -- The Vatican on Saturday stepped up its criticism of raids carried out by Belgian police investigating priestly sex abuse allegations, with the No. 2 official saying Saturday that the raids are unprecedented even under communism.

The raids this week targeted the home and office of a retired archbishop and also the graves of two prelates.

"It is an unheard-of and very grave fact," Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, said Saturday. Speaking on the sidelines of a conference in Rome, Bertone lamented that bishops were held for nine hours without food or drink.

"There are no precedents, not even in Communist regimes," Bertone said, according to Italian news agencies.

The Vatican has summoned the Belgian ambassador to the Holy See to convey its anger. In a statement from Bertone's office on Friday, the Vatican said it was astonished and outraged at the violation of the tombs.

Belgian police on Thursday raided the home and former office of former Archbishop Godfried Danneels, taking documents and his personal computer. Police and prosecutors did not say if Danneels was suspected of abuse himself or simply had records pertaining to allegations against another person. He was not questioned.

Investigators also opened the graves of archbishops in the St. Rombouts Cathedral in Mechlin, north of Brussels, looking for possibly incriminating documents, according to the office of the Brussels public prosecutor.

Avvenire, the newspaper of the Italian Bishops' Conference, lamented the "brutality" of the raid on the cathedral, claiming that "there is something that goes beyond the legitimate requirements of justice."

"Does such an assault not assume a symbolic meaning, is it not the sign of a desire to attack the Church in its entirety?" the newspaper said in a front-page editorial Saturday. It said the raid "smacks of a settling of the score" with the church by a secular country.

2 comments:

Zoompad said...

I used to go to St Mary's PROTESTANT Church in Market Drayton, I am a survivor of the Pindown child abuse in Staffordshire.

The vicar, Michael Hayes, tried to stop me from praying after the service in the little room which is for quiet prayer, for child abuse victims. I was praying silently, not causing any disruption or inconvenience to anyone, only to myself, as I was using the time which other people used in having a cup of tea and chat, so I was not being a pest at all. But other people saw me going in every week and when I told them why I went in every week they wanted to join me in praying, which I thought was nice, but Micvhael Hayes the vicar didn't. He was scowling at me, and I asked him why he didn't like me, or what I had done wrong but he would not tell me. I was made to feel very uncomfortable by him and some of the leaders of the church.

He left that church in the end. I have since found out, to my astonishment, that he was trained at MAYNOOTH and that he was, and still is, a JESUIT ROMAN CATHOLIC!

I have asked the Bishop of Lichfield to explain to me why a RC Jesuit was put in charge of a PROTESTANT Church, but so far I have had no reply to any of my letters, email and snail mail.

Zoompad said...

Google Michael Hayes, Maynooth and see what it comes up with. He is the man in the middle of the picture.