Saturday, February 19, 2011

2 more cases settled
Clergy abuse in Delaware: Oblates settle with two victims
Ex-Salesianum students receive $700,000 each in civil suit

7:18 AM, Feb. 19, 2011 | 4Comments
WILMINGTON -- Two priest sexual-abuse cases -- which were not included in the $77 million settlement with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Wilmington -- were settled out of court for $700,000 each.

The civil suit, filed in 2008 by Anthony Kramedas and Christopher Mauro, both 41, of Wilmington, alleged the Rev. Dennis Killion molested them when they were students at Salesianum School in Wilmington in the mid-1980s. The case was set to go to trial next week in New Castle County Superior Court.
While the Wilmington Diocese settled with about 150 victims of priest sexual abuse earlier this month, some 40 lawsuits against four religious orders that operate schools in Delaware -- such as the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, who run Salesianum -- were not part of the agreement and remain pending in state courts.
One of the witnesses who was expected to be called at that trial was the Rev. Charles Engelhardt, who was one of two priests and a lay teacher who were criminally charged last week by Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams with the sexual assault of a 10-year-old.
According to attorneys, Engelhardt, 64, was Killion's supervisor at Salesianum when the plaintiffs allege they were molested between 1983 and 1986.
Bartholomew J. Dalton, one of the attorneys representing Kramedas and Mauro, said the two were friends and classmates at Salesianum.
According to the suit, Kramedas and Mauro worked for Killion in the school's bookstore and with him at bingo nights. The lawsuit stated Killion assaulted each on school grounds at the faculty house and on a school ski trip to Vermont.
The lawsuit also charges that Killion fondled and groped Kramedas in a confessional.
Court papers state Killion gave the pair money, teachers' editions of textbooks and other special treatment. A different plaintiff charged in court papers that Killion -- who now resides at a priest retirement facility in Washington, D.C. -- promised to give him better grades if he kept quiet about the sexual abuse.
Dalton said the abuse ended only when Killion was transferred to Philadelphia.

No comments: